The virtues of the first ten days of Dhul Hijjah
Rasulullah Salallahu Alayhi Wasallam has said: “There is no better time to perform Ibaadah (devotion) of Allah Ta’ala than on the (first) ten days of Dhul Hijjah. A day’s fasting in it equals the fasting of one year and a night’s Ibaadah in it equals the Ibaadah of Laylatul Qadr.” [Tirmidhi/ Ibn Majah]
Allah Ta’ala has taken an oath on the ten nights of the first ten days of Dhul Hijjah. The ninth night (i.e. the night preceding the day of Arafah) and the night preceding Eid Day are especially significant. All these days are filled with special virtues. The observance of fasting on the ninth of Dhul Hijjah (day of Arafah) is a kaffaarah (atonement) of the sins of the past and coming year. Remaining awake on the night of Eid, while performing Ibaadah, is a source of great virtue and Thawaab (reward).
The takbeeraat of Tashriq
It is Wajib to recite the following takbeer audibly after every Fardh Salaah from the morning of the ninth of Dhul Hijjah (Day of Arafah) until the Asr Salaah on the thirteenth of Dhul Hijjah:
“Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, Laa ilaha illallahu wallahu Akbar. Allahu Akbar wa Lillahil Hamd.”
The Days of Dhul Hijjah
The first ten days of Dhu-al Hijjah are amongst the most magnificent days of the Islamic calendar. The Holy Prophet Salallahu ‘Alayhi Wasallam said:
“One fast during these days is equal to the fasting of one entire year and the Ibaadah during one of these nights is equal to the Ibaadah on Laylatul-Qadr.”
Every Muslim should therefore use this opportunity to gain this incredible reward by offering as much Ibaadah during this period as possible.
It was the habit of Hazrath Sheikh Zakariyya (ra) to eat & relish the meat of qurbani for the 3 days of sacrifice. Hazrath used to eat the meat for breakfast, lunch and supper.
Despite the fact that Hazrath was a tea lover, he used to get soup made of qurbani meat cooked, and he used to have this for breakfast.
Method & Duas of Qurbani
- The animal that is going to be sacrificed should be fed and given water.
- The knife that is going to be used should be sharpened beforehand, and not in front of the animal.
- The animal should be laid down on its left side at the place of slaughter, face pointing towards the Qibla. دعاء should be read before slaughtering the animal.
- Animal should be slaughtered quickly with a sharp knife. When slaughtering, cut all 4 veins in the throat or atleast 3 veins should be cut with 3 strokes of the knife. Don't cut any more than 3 strokes which will cause unnecessary pain to the animal.
- As soon as the animal is cold, you should start skinning the animal. Do not skin the animal when it still has life, it should be completely dead before skining.
- NOTE: age of animal: camel should be 5 yrs old, ox, bull, buffalo should be 2 yrs old and sheep, lamb, goat should be 1 yr old. The animal should be a healthy animal with no defects.
Dua before and after slaughtering:
اِنِّى وَجَّهْتُ وَجْهِيَ لِلَّذِيْ فَطَرَ السَّمَوَاتِ وَالأَرْضَ حَنِيْفًا وَّمَا اَنَا مِنَ الْمُشْرِكِيْنَ اِنَّ صَلاَتِيْ وَنُسُكِيْ وَمَحْيَايَ وَمَمَاتِيْ للهِ رَبِّ الْعالَمِيْنَ لاَ شَرِيْكَ لَه وَبِذَلِكَ اُمِرْتَ وَاَنَا مِنَ الْمُسْلِمِيْنَ اَللَّهُمَّ مِنْكَ وَلَكَ
Trans: “For me, I have set my face, firmly and truly towards Him Who created the heavens and the earth. And never shall I give partners to Allah. Verily my worship and my sacrifice, my living and my dying are for Allah, Lord of the worlds. O Allah! this sacrifice is from you and is for you”.